Holly's Profile

My name is Holly and I am currently a graduate trainee in a government legal library. The library caters, primarily, for the departmental legal advisers. We maintain a small collection of books, journals, government reports, international material, as well as subscribing to a number of electronic databases.

As the trainee my tasks include, book ordering, cataloguing, checking in journals, processing invoices, indexing, inter-library loans, conducting research, providing access to electronic databases, distribution of journals and general library maintenance. Working within a small team I have had the opportunity to contribute to most aspects of the running of the Library and have been included in decision making processes regarding the services we offer.

Attending visits with the London University trainees has been a real privilege, giving me insight into the variety of libraries our capital has to offer. It has also been really helpful to be able to meet other budding librarians and share ideas on MA applications and future career choices.

Working within the legal sector has been really interesting and rewarding. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about the wealth of legal resources on offer and how best to navigate through them. I hope to take the MA in Library and Information Studies at UCL next year. On graduating I would like to further my experience in a legal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.